- Last Updated: Friday, 31 October 2014 17:19
- MB-1406 Top Hat
- SC-3 Wine About It
- SC-8 Just Froggy
- SC-25 Crackerjack Brown
- SC-36 Irish Luck
- SC-52 Toad-ily Green
- SC-73 Candy Apple Red
- SC-88 Tu Tu Tango
- SG-401 Black
- SG-403 Red
- SG-406 Brown
- SG-409 Bright Green
- S-2101 Crystal Clear Brushing
- FN-001 White
- FN-010 Tree Green
- CB-106 #6 Script Liner
- CB-110 #10/0 Mini Liner
- CB-310 Flat Shader
- CB-404 #4 Pointed Round
- CB-604 #4 Soft Fan
- DSS-0103 Flourishes
- AC-230 Clay Carbon Paper
- AC-310 Silkscreen Medium
- BT-910 Synthetic Sponge
Designer: William Pulse
- Begin with properly fired shelf cone 04 bisque. Moisten a clean sponge and wipe bisque to remove any dust.
- Using CB-604 #4 Soft Fan, apply 3 coats of FN-010 Tree Green to the interior of MB-1406 Top Hat, including the bottom side of the hat's brim. Allow glaze to dry completely between coats.
- Using CB-604 #4 Soft Fan, apply 3 coats of FN-001 White to the exterior of MB-1406 Top Hat, including top side of the hat's brim. Allow glaze to dry completely between coats.
- Using AC-230 Clay Carbon Paper, transfer the pattern image using a pencil onto one or both sides of MB-1406 Top Hat. Note where the silkscreen flourish designs will be in relation to the pattern.
- Align the flourishes from DSS-0103 Flourishes at the crease of the hat. Fix the silkscreen, grain side down, with blue masking tape.
- With a palette knife mix SC-25 Crack Jack Brown with AC-310 Silkscreen Medium on a palette to the consistency of peanut butter.
- Using your finger, rub the thickened SC-25 Cracker Jack Brown mixture through the screen. No color needs to be applied where the holly leaves will be. After screening, remove screen, rinse in water to clean and lay flat to dry.
- Reposition and fix the DSS-0103 Flourishes silkscreen so the medium sized left or right end flourishes of the pattern. Repeat process until all desired flourishes are applied.
- Note: Be sure to rinse the silkscreen and lay flat to dry for future use. Refer to the Silkscreen Instructions for further information.
- Using CB-404 #4 Pointed Round, apply 3 coats of SC-52 Toad-ily Green to the holly leaves in the design. Allow glaze to lose its shine between coats.
- Using CB-404 #4 Pointed Round, apply 1 heavy coat of SC-88 Tu Tu Tango to two of the larger berries in the center of the pattern. While the color is still wet, use a clean CB-404 #4 Pointed Round moistened with water to remove a small amount of color to create a highlight in one of the berries.
- To the other three berries remaining, using CB-404 #4 Pointed Round to apply 1 heavy coat of SC-73 Candy Apple Red. One again, while the color is still wet, use a clean CB-404 #4 Pointed Round moistened with water to remove a small amount of color to create highlights in the berries.
- Using CB-110 #10/0 Mini Liner, apply 1 coat of the respected colors to the side of the berry opposite the highlight. This will give the berries a darken shading and create a more spherical shape to the berries.
- Using CB-310 Flat Shader, side load with SC-36 Irish Luck and water, shade the holly leaves, keeping the brush edge loaded with color to the outside edge of the leaf.
- Using CB-310 Flat Shader, side load with SC-8 Just Froggy and water, shade the center vein of the leaf.
- Using CB-110 #10/0 Mini Liner, apply 1 coat of SC-25 Cracker Jack Brown to the stems.
- Using the opposite end of the CB-110 #10/0 Mini Liner brush, randomly dot in some SC-88 Tu Tu Tango and SC-3 Wine About It for the small berries on the branches. Add larger dots lower down on the branch.
- Using SG-406 Brown and SG-401 Black, detail the branches.
- Using SG-403 Red, outline the berries, while also outlining the darker portions of the berries with SG-401 Black.
- Using SG-405 Green, outline the holly leaves. Also add a broken line to the vein.
- Using SG-409 Bright Green, add shading behind the leaves and next to the berries. Darken the shading with a small usage of SG-405 Green.
- Using SG-401 Black, add over the shaded greens. Also apply many dots close together next to the berries and where the shading is behind the leaves to add depth. Allow to dry.
- Using CB-604 #4 Soft Fan, apply 1 coat of S-2101 Crystal Clear Brushing to the exterior of the MB-1406 Top Hat. Allow to dry.
- Stilt and fire to shelf cone 06/05.
Extra: While not needed, Fired Gold Luster may be added to the design and hat rim edge for added sparkle. Fire the Gold luster to manufacturer's instructions.