Coming Up Roses
- Last Updated: Wednesday, 16 January 2013 16:48
- CD-915 8" Slump Hump Plate
- CD-778 Flowers & Leaves Press Mold
- SC-15 Tuxedo
- SC-26 Green Thumb
- SC-74 Hot Tamale
- SA-002 Black Accents
- FN-001 White
- CB-106 #6 Script Liner
- CB-604 - #4 Soft Fan
- BT-910 - Synthetic Sponges
- AC-230 Clay Carbon Paper
- Moist Clay
- ¼" Wooden Slats
- Rolling Pin
- Fettling Knife
- Needle Tool
- Slip/Clay Slurry
- Sand Bag
- Download Project Pattern: Rose Pattern
- Designer: Marcia Roullard
- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Time: 1½ hours
- Download Project (pdf)
- With a rolling pin on canvas, roll out a piece of moist clay ¼" thick between wooden slats.
- Form over the hump side of CD-915 Slump Plate Mold. Use a sand bag or a sponge to help form the plate. Trim off any excess clay.
- Pres out about 20 Roses from the CD-778 Flowers & Leaves Press Mold. Score and slip attach the roses around the outer edge of the plate.
- Allow the plate to firm up to a leather hard state and then remove from the mold and allow to completely dry.
- Bisque fire the plate to shelf cone 03/04.
- Begin with properly fired bisque. Moisten a clean sponge and wipe bisque to remove any dust.
- Using a CB-106 #6 Script Liner, apply a thinned coat of SC-15 Tuxedo to all the rose’s on the edge of the plate. Wipe back with a damp sponge to antique them. Allow to dry.
- Using a CB-604 #4 Soft Fan, apply 2 – 3 coats of FN-001 White to the center of the plate and around the edge of the plate. Allow to dry.
- Using aCB-106 #6 Script Liner, float thinned SC-15 Tuxedo around the embossed roses.
- With a Pencil, sketch/draw or trace with AC-230 Clay Carbon Paper the rose design.
- Using a CB-106 #6 Script Liner, apply 3 coats of SC-74 Hot Tamale to the rose in the center of the plate and on all the embossed roses.
- Using a CB-106 #6 Script Liner, apply 3 coats of SC-26 Green Thumb to the leaf in the center of the plate.
- Using the SA-002 Black Accent, apply the stem, veins in the leaf and the rose petals in a loose outline. Allow to dry.
- Using a CB-604 #4 Soft Fan, apply 2-3 coats of SC-74 Hot Tamale to the back of the plate. Allow to dry.
- Stilt and fire to shelf cone 05/06.