- Last Updated: Friday, 26 April 2019 18:53
MB-1116 Casualware Dinner Plate
- FN-001 White
- SC-24 Dandelion
- SC-26 Green Thumb
- SC-27 Sour Apple
- SC-73 Candy Apple Red
- SC-74 Hot Tamale
- SG-403 Red
- NT-CLR Clear Dipping or S-2101 Crystal Clear Brushing Glaze
- CB-604 #4 Soft Fan
- CB-106 #6 Script Liner
- Plain Paper
- Pattern: Download
1. Begin with properly fired shelf cone 04 Bisque. Moisten a clean sponge and wipe bisque to remove any dust.
2. Using the Soft Fan Brush, apply three coats of FN-001 White to the front of the plate.
3. While the glaze is drying cut out the bulb pattern. You will use the negative space (open hole) from the cut out.
4. Using the Soft Fan, wet the surface of the plate and press down the negative (open hole) of the bulb to the front of the plate. The key is to get the paper down tight so when you add the color it will not seek out. This will give you a crisp outline. Pressing down with a damp sponge also helps.
5. Tear 7 strips of paper approximately 3/4" to 1" wide in an uneven fashion.
6. You will start at the top of the bulb and work your way down painting strips of paper and pressing down onto the bulb. You do not want the paper strips to be perfect or match up. Leave gaps between the paper strips.
7. Using the CB-604 #4 Soft Fan Brush paint one heavy coat of SC-73 Candy Apple Red over the strips of paper and blend in one heavy coat of SC-74 Hot Tamale. Paint in a random fashion so some areas are blended and some are just the one color.
8. Lay the paper down and just leave it alone for about a minute. Then press the strip of glazed paper down. Use a damp sponge to help press down and remove all the air bubbles and wrinkles. Move on to the next color.
9. Green stripe - Using the CB-604 #4 Soft Fan Brush apply SC-27 Sour Apple and SC-26 Green Thumb to the strip of paper. Lay it down and leave it for a minute before pressing down with a damp sponge.
10. The third strip is SC-24 Dandelion. Use the same process as directed above.
11. Alternate the next three strips with the same process - red, green and lastly red.
12. Design Options: Use the MT-007 Divots Mat to apply dots to the strips. You can use SC-74 Hot Tamale, or SC-26 Green Thumb. Apply prior to removing the bulb pattern paper.
13. Before the paper is removed brush the open spaces between the color strips of paper with one coat of SC-26 Green Thumb or SC-15 Tuxedo using the RB-144 #4 Soft Fan Brush.
14. After all the paper is on the bulb, let it sit so the glaze will soak into the bisque and off the paper for 3 minutes.
15. Test an edge to make sure it is ready to remove by pulling up a corner and checking to see if the glaze transferred. If it did not, take the moistened sponge and press down again over the paper. Remove the paper including the large sheet with the negative pattern.
16. Using the Script Liner, paint the ornament cap with 2-3 coats of SC-24 Dandelion.
17. Using the Soft Fan, apply three coats of SC-73 Candy Apple Red to the back of the plate.
18. Outline the edges and lines in the cap with SG-403 Red.
19. If air bubbles occurred, fill with the appropriate color.
20. Design Options: Write family names on each stripe. Use Mayco's DSS-107 Season's Greetings words Seasons Greetings etc on the stripes.
21. Apply clear glaze of choice.
22. Stilt and fire to cone 05/06.