- Last Updated: Tuesday, 18 June 2019 18:54
CD-001 Iguana Greenware
- SC-15 Tuxedo
- SC-27 Sour Apple
- SC-39 Army Surplus
- SC-88 Tu Tu Tango
- SC-97 Cant-elope
- SG-410 Bright Blue
- EL-134 Mirror Blue
- S-2101 Crystal Clear Brushing
- S-2701 Peacock Eyes
- S-2702 Northern Lights
- S-2703 Berryberry Pie
- FN-220 Sooty Grey
- CB-110 Liner
- CB-220 Detail Liner
- CB-404 Pointed Round
- CB-604 Soft Fan
- AC-302 Wax Resist
- Plastic Cup, 4 oz.
- Baking Soda
- White Vinegar
- Clean-up Tool
- Green Grit Cloth
- Spray Bottle
- Tile or Pallet
- Plastic Spoon
- Old Towel
Designer: William Pulse
- Use the Clean-up Tool to fettle the seam lines from the ware. Further sand down the seam lines with the Green Grit Cloth. Wipe down the ware to remove excess dust using a moistened sponge.
- Use CB-220 Detail Liner or CB-404 Pointed Round to apply 1 coat of AC-302 Wax Resist to the eyes, toenails and backspin fin and bottoms of the feet. Wash brush immediately after use with warm water and liquid soap. Let dry.
- Place the iguana on a used towel. In a plastic cup mix 3 teaspoons of Baking Soda with water to create a watery slurry. Using CB-604 Soft Fan to apply a coat of the Baking Soda mixture to the body of the Iguana excluding the backspin, eyes, and toenails. Let dry until the baking soda turns white.
- Fill a spray bottle with the White Vinegar. Spray lightly the Iguana with vinegar.
- A chemical reaction will happen to make the clay surface bubble and boil creating a texture.
- If after the initial spraying you want more of a texture or craters, you may apply either more Baking Soda mixture and or more vinegar. Applying the vinegar with a brush can create a pattern of the brush stroke but is an option if there is no spray bottle for use.
- Sometimes it may need only another misting of vinegar for the process to continue. If too much Baking Soda is applied it can create hard spots on the fired bisque surface.
- When you are satisfied with the texture of the lizard, allow it to dry. Be careful when handling the dried iguana as the texture can be damaged and if still moist, the greenware is more susceptible to breakage.
- Before Firing, dust any excess Baking Soda patches that may be left after the texturizing process.
- Fire the piece to Shelf Cone 03-04.
- On a tile mix SC-27 Sour Apple to a wash consistency with water, (about 1:1 ratio).
- Apply to the textured surface of the lizard using CB-604 Soft Fan. The color will flow into the recesses of the texture and stay lighter along the top surface. Darken the creases and around the toes, legs, neck, around the eyes, and along the spine with thinned SC-39 Army Surplus using the same brush.
- Fill in the eyes with SC-97 Cant-elope with CB-220 Detail Liner and shade the edges of the eye with thinned SC-88 Tu Tu Tango. Detail the pupil and toenails with SC-15 Tuxedo using CB-110 Liner. Paint in the eyelid with SC-39 Army Surplus. Place some dots below the eye using SG-410 Bright Blue.
- Use CB-604 Soft Fan to apply 1 coat of S-2101 Crystal Clear Brushing to the body of the lizard excluding the spine area
- Apply an extra coat to the eyes.
- Using CB-604 Soft Fan apply a 1-2 coat of FN-220 Sooty Grey to over the body of the iguana excluding the eyes.
- Apply 2 coats of EL-134 Mirror Blue to the spine of the iguana using CB-404 Pointed Round.
- To the unshaken or stirred jars of S-2701 Peacock Eyes, S-2702 Northern Lights and S-2703 Berryberry Pie, use a spoon to reach down and gather a scoop of the crystals from each and place them onto a tile. Note the numbers of each for later use.
- Apply one coat of the crystals from S-2703 Berryberry Pie to the spine of the iguana and slightly onto the body using CB-604 Soft Fan.
- Place some of the crystals on the forehead and feet as well. Starting just below the previously applied crystals, apply 1 coat of the crystal from S-2102 Peacock
- Eyes about ½ to ¾ an inch. You can apply a wider area towards the middle of the belly.
- Place some of these crystals on the forehead and feet as well.
- Next apply below and overlapping slightly the previously applied crystals with S-2702 Northern Lights about ½ to ¾ inches and slightly wider along the middle of the belly. Also, apply a few crystals on the forehead and feet.
- Stilt and Fire the piece to Shelf Cone 05-06.